Have a plan for using Google Plus. If it’s just another platform to build numbers, you’re likely to fall into yet another time suck.
My suggestion for you with Google Plus is to connect with your core customers and connections such as employees, vendors or affiliates, collaborations and the like in new ways using Circles and Hangouts.
There will be other general or “public” circles you’ll engage with, especially at the outset. In the long run, I think you’ll want to focus on your core G+ circles or the whole platform will become a G Minus to you.
Just as Facebook isn’t Twitter, Google Plus is neither of those - so don’t play it that way. Circle ratios and who’s following who should not matter to you, especially as you first begin using Google +.
Here are some resources to help get you started with Google Plus:
- Start Now on Google Plus: What I used to get started
- Media Tapper: A Social Media Magazine with great aides for “Google Plussers”
- 34 Google Plus Resources for Your Business
- The Official Google+ Insiders Guide – Links to lots and lots of resources
- Google+ Hangout Extras: Permanent Hangout spots (categorized)
- A Goldmine of Great Google + Tips: Continually Updated
- Inc. Magazine’s Can Google + Help Your Business?
- Google Tips to Help Get You Started
As you wonder, you will find gems and glean new ideas. Share them as part of your getting used to Google Plus. Keep an eye for “How can my business benefit from this action?” type of situations and look past the obvious.
Don’t worry about the circle numbers or number of comments. Not yet.
None of those numbers will make sense until G+ makes meaning.