2W2B: Building State of Mind Muscles

This is part of an ongoing series as I journal my way through Lisa Haneberg‘s book, Two Weeks to a Breakthrough. Today’s entry is from the preparatory Chapter 1. The 14-day journey begins on Sunday.

I believe in the power of questions as a conversation ignitor. In particular – the conversations we have in our own mind – conversations we sometimes take for granted.

Lisa lists five ‘states of mind’ that we can exercise in order to recognize and manifest possibilities:

• Wonder: Do we recognize the extraordinary beauty that surrounds us, even in things seemingly ordinary? Do we stop and smell the roses? My buddy Brett does – and captures them for keeps.
  • Inquiry: Lisa talks about Provo-Evo Communication, a combination of provocative and evocative questions. If you’re an anthropologist, you’re probably doing some form of this already. If you’re not, I dub thee reader as such (now go, be inquisitive)
  • Abundance: My favorite of the five. Abundance mentality or scarcity mind-set? The former will lead to plentiful collaboration; the latter will lead to controlling ownership (and potentially a closed mind) Want others to stand with you?
  • Exuberance:Herein lies the main ingredient of being contagious in a fantastic way.
  • Courage: A state of mind that opens doors and possibilities that fear would never realize exist.

Five states of mind to exercise on this journey. Having these mindsets will surely transform the conversations we have in our own head, with our peers, and with our customers.

Intro: Preparing for a Breakthrough

Give a Boost to Your Business. Subscribe to LIFT-a-Day Free:
Links and resources helping business owners Learn, Improve, Find Flow, and Think

1. says

Great summary Mike. I love lists like this that allow you to shift your thinking and add value to daily interactions. My favorite would be Exuberance. I believe that attitude is contagious and can often help overcome other areas we fall short.

2. says

Aloha Mike, I just got my copy of Lisa’s book too, and can’t wait to jump into it, especially now that I see this list of five mindsets she coaches us to be in – fabulous potential!
    I also want to say thank you for the link you included our way within abundance, for we welcome your readers to our self-coaching initiative; the more the merrier! The notion of collaborative abundance is so perfect, for even in self-coaching that Law of Attraction in energy can work wonders!
    Ho’ohana Mike, I’ll be reading along to celebrate the breakthrough I know you’ll dazzle us with; mahalo nui for the generosity of your vulnerability and transparency,

3. J.D. says

I think these are key elements of conversation in general, whether it be advertising, marketing, mass communication, or just a couple talking with each other.

4. says

Hey Mike,
    Long time no commenting:)
    Geez. Time to stop and smell the roses? You mean their is life after work and blogs? :)
    Thanks for posted this, because it was a topic that i think about often. I’ll have to check out a copy of her book too.
    Best Regards,

5. says

Breakthroughs at ConverStation

Mike over at ConverStations is doing a series of posts about Two Weeks to a Breakthrough. Mike, the five-spot is in the mail :-). Here’s a snippet from post 1:The introduction explains that part of the daily process is sharing

6. says

These are in fact the characteristics we are born with. Do you all remember how we saw the world as children? The magic, curiosity, and willingness to share, enthusiasm and fearlessness we felt. There were no ingrained memories or thoughts that it wasn’t possible, they couldn’t be your friends… we all started with our hands raised up to answer the call of imagination and potential.
    That’s what it feels like to break through. Thank you for sharing, Mike.